Weingarten Rights & Just Cause
The right to union representation
Do you understand your right to representation?
The Weingarten Rights document explains the rights an association/union member has to representation.
If you have questions, contact your area steward or a COBEA officer.
You MUST ASK for representation -
You have the right to RESPECTFULLY say -
"If this investigatory interview could in any way lead to my being disciplined or terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, I respectfully request that my union representative, officer or steward be present at the meeting. Without representation, I choose not to answer any questions."
1. Was the employee adequately warned of the consequences of his conduct?
2. Was the employer's rule or order reasonably related to efficient and safe operations?
3. Did management investigate before administering the discipline?
4. Was the investigation fair and objective?
5. Did the investigation produce substantial evidence or proof of guilt?
6. Were the rules, orders, and penalties applied evenhandedly and without discrimination?
7. Was the penalty reasonably related to the seriousness of the offense and the past record?